Top 8 Tips for First-Year Students
Tips for Students on How to Survive Studying During the First Year at College
Many freshmen complain that it is hard to survive their first months in college. Thus, we have decided to elaborate a detailed guide consisting of 8 tips that will provide first-year students with useful pieces of advice on how to be successful in college.
Best advice for college freshmen
1. Attend your classes. It is not true that college students may come to classes whenever they want. If you aim to be successful in your academic career, it is obligatory to complete all studies according to your schedule.
2. Learn the campus. It is not enough to take one-time tour to get to know all the locations in your campus. Spend some time wondering around your campus and learn all the important college sites.
3. Follow the college rules. Print a copy of the college rules and read them through. It is not necessary to learn them by heart, but you should be aware of the most important ones.
4. Check out rumors. Every college has rumors flying across the campus; however, most of them are not true. Check out rumors with college authorities before making significant decisions such as changing your major or schedule.
5. Plan your time. College life is abundant with different activities, studying and social life. Frequently, students try hard to manage their time wisely. Thus, it is necessary to arrange a schedule and follow it in order to find time for all the tasks.
6. Accept criticism. When a professor criticizes your academic success, be patient. Indeed, your instructor is doing you a favor by pointing out your major faults. So, accept reasonable criticism and never make the same mistakes.
7. Develop your communication skills. While in college, you are always surrounded by classmates, professors and other college staff. In such environment communication is essential. If you lack effective socializing skills, sign up for specific training.
8. Be active in your college life. You will never feel like a real student without taking part in activities organized on your campus. There are different clubs and societies that share the same interests. Become a member of such a group and your college experience will become even more exciting.
College life brings a lot of fun. Follow our tips and you will be prepared to avoid problems and enjoy every day of your college life.
Get Prepared for Changes in Your Life
One of the tips for students that will help them to quickly get accustomed to the new pace of life is to be open to changes. When you come to realize that change is inevitable, it will be easier for you to get used to the new environment. Even though the start of college life does not seem like a big deal, it actually influences the other spheres of life as well. Specifically, if you are now a first year university or college student, you need some time to look through your schedule and rearrange some of the usual stuff you have been busy with. Even such petty routine things as cooking or doing the laundry may now need to be postponed or relocated in schedule. So, be aware of it. Among the things that will certainly change with your new daily schedule are the following:
- You. You will certainly change as a student and as an individual. Be aware that higher education is always for the better as you broaden your outlook and grow intellectually. Moreover, you learn how to work in a team and individually, cope with a variety of subjects of different levels, and discuss different matters. Take your studying at college or university as a great advantage and contribution to your life success. Taking some courses separately (after studying or if you have not got higher education) or enrolling on courses online may be really expensive. So, one of the main success tips for students is to grab the chance to enjoy quality education at your educational establishment. Cooperate with others, ask questions, and strive towards your academic and career success.
- Independence. This is the aspect that is prone to change particularly when you are studying far from home. You learn how to deal with a lot of responsibilities on your own, how to manage household, and how to balance between studying and social life. At this life point, most of your decisions will have to be made individually. So, instill your inner confidence in you and learn how to manage different things on your own.
- Home. This great aspect of your life will change as well since you will not have as much time as before to devote to your family and friends. If you live in some other city (i.e. studying far from home), be ready that you will have to carefully plan the best time for visiting family members. With all these changes, remember to communicate regularly at least online or via phone.
- Time management. Managing time at high school and managing time at college or university are different things. One of the man tips for students is not to get discouraged when you realize that studying at college and university takes up much more time than you were used to while at high school. So, set priorities and manage your time wisely. Remember that you need not only to plan some studying activities but also ensure that you have sufficient time for recreational activities, sleep, rest, and hobbies.
- Studying. One of the greatest academic tips for college students is to be open to spontaneity and changes of your routine life and specific daily habits. Ensure convenience in all daily matters, particularly in studying. Keep in mind that you need to find a cozy and convenient place where you will manage to study productively and effectively without distractions and procrastination. One of the tips for students who are just starting their studying year is not to be afraid to ask for help and to seek time-management help from professionals since it may be tough to deal with numerous activities on time.
- Reaching out for help. If you want to know how to succeed in university, you should be aware that success goes hand in hand with communication, asking for help, and cooperation. If you have been a reserved person for the whole of your life, you will have to gradually leave your comfort zone and start learning how to seek help from your class mates, professors, etc. It is highly recommended to learn how to cooperate with others and communicate with them on academic matters. Asking for a piece of advice is not the matter of being not clever enough whatsoever – it is a sign that you are open to cooperation.
- Difficulty level. On the whole, the level of difficulty of the assignments you get will definitely change. They will be more demanding and tough, so be sure that you will learn how to deal with them. Even if you know some material, you will be required to study much information on your own, to have some individual assignments, and challenge yourself with the amount of workload you get. One of the best tips for students is to know the borderline when a specific assignment is of insurmountable difficulty so that you cannot cope with it. In this case, you will definitely have to seek professional assistance from experts if you want to maintain your excellent academic performance.
Top Studying Tips on How to Steer in the Right Direction
- Manage your home tasks on time. When you skip submitting your assignments on a regular bass, it will not take much time to fall behind in comparison to the rest of the class. Therefore, be sure you plan in advance and get familiar with the syllabus. If you have some free time now but are aware that the nest week, for example, will be stressful, think of the idea to prepare some assignments in advance.
- Be persevering. Try to find personal motivation in the studies. Just analyze some of the grades you have lately got and think of what they result from: concentrated studying or your perseverance and effort? Sometimes, it is more a matter of the time and attention you devote to a specific assignment rather than the amount of time.
- Health and well-being. There are crucial factors that should never be ignored when it comes to your routine, studying or work. Never ignore your well-being and health – devote sufficient time to recreational activities, rest, and enjoyable pastimes. Maintain regular physical exercising, get sufficient sleep, get proper nutrition. Plan your time wisely as you are studying: make sure you study in portions and get enough time for rest. Juggle between your work, studying, and personal life.
- Socialize and interact with others. When studying, do not forget about the plethora of extracurricular activities offered to students. Do not focus merely on studying – take advantage of the discussion clubs and other chances for quality interaction. Moreover, remember that you can communicate and cooperate with your professors. It is one of the top studying tips that ensures students’ success.
Enjoy Your College or University Life
Enjoy your studying – this is one of the tips university students should keep in mind. The core thing that lies behind your academic success is to be engaged in the studying process and be able to derive enjoyment from it. Therefore, if you feel odd or if you do not get any pleasure from studying, address your faculty advisers for some help or consultation. You may just need some professional help and a piece of good advice to make one of the crucial decisions in your life concerning studies. Do not forget to develop your talents either – get enrolled in some clubs or discussion groups.