How to Find an Apartment for Rent
Almost for every young person, there comes a moment when he/she has to find a separate housing space. If you are about to live on your own, it is high time to prepare yourself for the ‘apartment hunt’. Decide what you can afford to avoid the overwhelming variety of offers and to expedite this process.
5 steps to find a perfect apartment for rent
1. Define affordability
In other words, determine your price range according to your own budget. By the way, statistics suggests spending not more than 20-25% of your monthly income on the rent.
2. Look for lower rental costs
Apartments in the suburbs are cheaper than in the city center. Also, do not forget about a convenient distance to work and transportation costs. You can make living on your own for the first time not so costly by getting a roommate. Moreover, you do not need much space. Try to negotiate to score a perfect deal.
3. Add renters insurance
Approximately 75% of landlords require the insurance. It is really helpful if you suffer a break-in or if you do damage to renter’s property. Do not worry, because it is quite affordable.
4. Start ‘hunting’
The average time lag you have for finding an apartment is around 2-3 months. Firstly, there are other apartment hunters, who are your would-be competitors. Secondly, you need to take into account several basic features:
- Price. There is a small chance you can afford yourself the apartment of your dreams. Is it beyond your budget? Expunge from a list.
- Transportation. Public transportation can be inconvenient. It is not good to spend a lot of time commuting to work and returning home. Taking a taxi every day is also a bad idea.
- Convenience. Location plays an important role. It can make your life easier or, what is much worse, to turn it into a nightmare. Look for the apartment that is close to your work, shopping centers, and different amenities.
- Safety. A safe neighborhood is not the only dimension of this feature. Check proper locks on the door, security, and private entrances to feel safe inside.
5. Be ready to give the down payment and prepare extra documentation
Being an apartment hunter is really difficult. If you do not want to lose your time and to learn from your own lessons, take into account all the tips mentioned above. Good luck!